St. Paul Riverfront, Irvine Park & West 7th Street
St. Paul exists because its accessible flats provided the farthest-north efficient landing site for riverboats, since St. Anthony Falls in what became Minneapolis blocked any further upriver commerce, and steep bluffs between the two towns made it difficult to move goods and materials. So as the upper reach of Mississippi transportation (until the St. Anthony locks were constructed a century later), St. Paul has always been attuned to the river.
Irvine Park was an early settlement of the city's business leaders, & naturally overlooked the river.
St. Paul is a city of distinctive enclaves, and one of them is the old West 7th Street corridor, now in parts modishly renamed Fort Road. When the city was new, what is now West 7th Street was an important transportation route, connecting the community (almost totally located in and right around today's downtown area) with Fort Snelling, the regional outpost of public order.
Not surprisingly then, as St. Paul grew, much of its early housing was built along this plateau above the river, between the centers of commerce and government. By 1900, the West 7th streetcar line extended all the way to the river, just across from Fort Snelling. Once this land was effectively opened up with reliable transit, it built out quickly, and thus most of the housing dates from before 1910.
This area of downtown St. Paul has mostly established condominium buildings such as the Irvine Park Tower, the historic Armstrong Quinlan Mansion, and Panama Flats Rowhouses. New additions to the Upper Landing neighborhood include the Riverfront Flats at Upper Landing and the Mississippi Flats.
Contact the Asbury Group to learn more St. Paul Riverfront Real Estate.